This work is entirely exploratory. I have not yet decided to continue on with painting or not for the coming year, but I try to finish things I start. The series will consist of two similar sized canvases to Kazimir Malevich’s Black Square (1915, 1927), a few odd sized, and several 11×11 inch square paintings. Although my supervisor mentioned the slippage that occurs between dichotomies, I had noted in my book several weeks ago that it would be worth looking at how the black and white paint might migrate into each other. It will be especially interesting with a mixed black.
While painting today I made several notes. Black and white pigments can both be squeezed directly from the tube. I am using a mixed black consisting of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna. However, it is impossible to create a mixed white. White must always come from the tube.
On the wall in my studio right now are three paintings. Each 42 by 52 inches. My aim is to use up every last bit of acrylic paint that I have collected over the past 4 years of school. A sort of homage to my BFA.
These are completely different than anything I have yet done, aside from the obvious tree theme ( I took the photo last year up near Paradise Meadows),
Finished the Spring course and did well. Spent time with my youngest son who was home from school and started a reno. I guess having it finished by the time the fall semester came along was far too optomistic. Did not consciously make any art works, which I think means that I did not make any.
Either way, I am into it now. I am taking Drawing, GEVA (a general proposal based studio class), and an online course. This term my instructors are Nancy Bleck, Wendy Doberenier, Sam Carter (who tells us studied with Buckminster Fuller), and Sara Vipond.
Aside from making three “objects” I am also working on three paintings for the GEVA class. Here are two at the current stage.
This one is four feet wide, I think.
And this one is 75 inches by 34 inches.
So, of the intructors I have, the following have web sites:
The third painting in the series. Acrylic on canvas, 34×75 inches. I think there is something funny about the face on her right side (not your right, her right). Since I can’t put my finger on it, I am forced to leave it as it is for now.
A few weeks ago I ordered some Windsor and Newton, Artisan, Water Mixable Oil Colour. Eight tubes: Titanium White, Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, French Ultramarine, Alizarin Crimson, Lemon Yellow, Phthalo Blue, Cadmium Red Light, and Cadmium Yellow Light. Then they sat there in their nice blue boxes until last night. I set up a pair of scissors and finished a small study in about 30 minutes. It was either paint or study Modernist Visions of Utopia.
I have painted in oils before and these paints were stickier. The result however has the same rich appearance of regular oils. It felt wonderful too to paint into an area and the already laid down paint was still wet. Loved it. Something you just don’t get with acrylics.
I have started another painting. My goal is to complete one every two weeks, for a total of six. I made a couple of adjustments to the first one, so it has changed slightly, but it was very well recieved by the class and people seemed genuinely excited by it. So it is onward with this series.